Dr. Allington has served as president of the National Reading Conference and the International Reading Association. He received the William S. Gray Citation of Merit from IRA for his contributions to the organization and the profession. He was co-recipient (with Dr. Anne McGill-Franzen) of the Albert J. Harris Award for contributions to improving professional understanding of reading/learning disabilities and was elected to the Reading Hall of Fame.
Dr. Allington is author or co-author of several books including:
- Classrooms That Work: They Can All Read And Write (AllynBacon)
- Schools That Work: All Children Can Read And Write (AllynBacon)
- What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-based Programs (Allyn-Bacon)
- What Really Matters for Reading Fluency (AllynBacon)
- What Really Matters in Response to Intervention (AllynBacon)
- Learning to read: Lessons from Exemplary First-grade Classrooms (Guilford)
- Reading to learn: Lessons from Exemplary Fourth-grade Classrooms (Guilford).
- Big Brother and the National Reading Curriculum: How Ideology Trumped Evidence (Heinemann)
- No Quick Fix: The RTI edition (TeachersCollegePress)
Click here for more information on these books and other books by Dr. Allington.
Something you probably didn't know about Dr. Allington: